Day 3 of 30 Days of Biking: Failure to Launch

I stirred from my slumber at about 5:45 am., reached for my phone to see what the forecast would be for the next few hours and groaned. Before I even looked at my phone, however, the sound of the wind slamming against my windows told me everything I needed to know: it would be another cold start, 25 degrees Fahrenheit battling against fierce winds. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

It's true, what they say: exercise is mostly a mental game. If you decide you can't do something, you won't. Usually, it starts more as a quiet, subconscious thought that works its way forward, whispering in your brain and telling you not to move. In my case, it was screaming loud and clear, "No one is forcing you to do this... why not just take a day off? It's far too cold and the office is so far away. Why suffer needlessly?" And I listened.

I probably shouldn't be so hard on myself, but I failed to keep my commitment. I talked a pretty big game, but when it came time to play, I didn't show up.

Well, tomorrow is a new day with another chance to ride again. Hopefully, it'll be warmer, or at least I'll be a little more motivated. It's too late for me to make all 30 days, but at least I have a chance to keep going for the rest of the month. One day at a time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment