Day 2 of 30 Days of Biking 2013

This morning, I woke up to a nasty surprise, as temperatures hovered in the mid 20s. Although, it could have been worse. This Instagram photo is what it looked like in other parts of North-East PA, courtesy of +Michelle Hryvnak Davies.

Yeah, no thanks. Where is Spring? I was just beginning to entertain the thought of not bundling up like Randy in "A Christmas Story" when this kick in the feels came along.

Yup. Just another beautiful April day in North-East PA.

High of 34? What about highs in the 60s? When can we see that? Oh, but the wind! I mean, having the winds is one thing, getting blown sideways by an icy blast is another. Still, it was only Day 2 of 30 Days of Biking, and I had stuff to get done.

My only real task to complete today was getting to the bank to deposit some money in my checking account. It's just .4 miles shy of a 10 mile round trip, but the motivation required was monumental. Since it was my day off, I figured I'd wait until after noon to get in on that peak warmth and sunshine action. It didn't help.

I told myself it wouldn't take that long. I told myself it wasn't that windy. I told myself that, once I got started, I wouldn't even notice the cold. "Just pedal harder, you'll get warmer!" All lies. But, I'm a very good liar, so I did what I had to do.

Day 2, in the can. Old Man Winter tried to strike back, but he just struck out. I win again!

As a side note, one thing I am loath to admit is that I decided to swap the hard, stock seat on my road bike for the puffy, springy seat from my hybrid. I just couldn't do it, anymore.

After hundreds of miles of pounding, I needed a break. I've ridden over 200 miles in the last month, and I really just assumed that my backside would eventually toughen up and get over it, but I started to feel like I might be doing some major damage to myself. Also, I don't have a pair of shorts or tights with a chamois or any kind of padding built in, so I bought some that should be coming in the next week or so. In the meantime, I'm riding granny's saddle on my main commuter. I won't lie -- it was an utter relief on this trip. My scranus thanks me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment